Tuesday, December 9, 2008

True Story

Guy: I'd really like to discuss Radical Egalitarianism.
Me: Do you want to discuss it because you believe it or because you just want to discuss it.
Guy: I don't know, I have very open ideas. This is my only outlet for theological discussion. (In reference to the small group we both attend.)
Me: Do you think it's supported by scripture?
Guy: -pause- I don't have any scripture to back it up but I believe in a loving God.

When the "I believe in a loving God" people can throw around terms like Radical Egalitarianism, you know you're in for a good time.

I think I just might like it here.

4 comments:

paul said...

just be humble in this. much greater thinkers than you and I have wrestled with this. And there is LOTS of scriptural support.

Jenlyn said...

I will be. I was just slightly shocked to find that someone who used the phrase 'I believe in a loving God' uses the technical terms. In my own experience, the those who claim a 'loving God' use it at as an excuse not to know anything else.

Anonymous said...

out of my own curiosity and laziness.
whats egalitarianism?

Jenlyn said...

Egalitarianism is the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities (see Apple dictionary). Radical Egalitarianism is the view that God's grace is given to all equally and that it's so free we don't even have to ask for it.