Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Dresses

I've been having an odd obsession with dresses lately. It seems I can't get enough of them and I hate everything that's being sold right now. There is no such thing as a modern, modest, pretty dress for under $150. It's that such an odd request? I know that slightly higher neckline (you know, so they can't see your chest) and the slightly lower hemline cost a little extra, but that's all: a little. Not $100.

There is also no such thing as a long skirt that doesn't look frumpy. No wonder our mothers have such trouble not looking the dreaded '40'. (Which I also have an opinion on but that's for another post.) Our clothing makers don't make anything for anyone between 25 and 60. You must look one or the other even if it makes you look like a tramp or 20 years over your age. Or wear unisex clothing, which works fine for work but what about those women who don't want men to have to look twice to figure out what gender they are. Our clothes should address that for us. (Again, another post.)

I'm seriously considering buying a bunch of patterns and making my own clothes. It might take more time but it's much more cost effective and I can have every detail I want without searching a million stores over and getting frustrated with everything modest being ugly and everything attractive not being pretty.

No comments: